Saturday, November 22, 2014

Here's Hoping It's Subtle

A new card today, based on a color scheme that germinated while I was working at Walmart the other day.

Those of you who read this blog regularly know that I have a big crush on Blackberry Bliss. Well, this time I decided to use just a few hints of Blackberry Bliss so this card is my attempt at subtlety!

The structure of the card comes from the Card Challenge #163 over at Freshly Made Sketches.


I decided to rotate the sketch 90 degrees to make it a vertical orientation.

I cut a 5 x 7" card base from Soft Suede and then stamped the Dictionary stamp onto a piece of Sahara Sand using Sahara Sand ink. I used my distressing tool to rough up the edges.

I used a sponge dauber to ink the edges with both Sahara Sand and Soft Suede ink. I then adhered it to a Blackberry Bliss matte so that only a thin matte edge was seen.

I needed a paper for the bottom section of the card but none of the papers I had looked quite right so I made my own using the same technique as the card in my blog post, Creative Gathering. This time I used Soft Suede and Blackberry Bliss ink on Sahara Sand card stock.

It was just what I needed! The paper was adhered to the bottom portion of the card front. The matted piece was adhered over top of it, sandwiching some Linen Thread between it and the card base, to add a little visual interest and texture to the top of the card.

I then used the Bordering Blooms stamp set to stamp a border in Soft Suede on a strip of Sahara Sand. I inked the edges with Blackberry Bliss and adhered it across the bottom of the card front.

I used a flower punch from the now retired, Itty Bitty Shapes Punch Pack, to punch several flowers from Blackberry Bliss. These I glued in an alternating pattern across the strip. I added tiny pearls to the centres of the flowers.

I stamped a sentiment from the Bloom With Hope stamp set on the top part of the stamped matte, using Blackberry Bliss. To draw more attention to the sentiment, I added another flower to complete the card.

In retrospect, I wish I had done a couple of things differently.

First, I would not have put so many flowers on the strip itself and I would have tried to place them more randomly rather than them being so symmetrical.

Secondly, I think the Soft Suede card front needs some sort of subtle stamped texture. It just looks a little too smooth to me.

Linda Vich Creates: Here's Hoping It's Subtle

Linda Vich Creates: Here's Hoping It's Subtle

Linda Vich Creates: Here's Hoping It's Subtle


So, what do you think? Did my card turn out to be a little bit more subtle this time? Do you agree with my suggestions for improvement of the card? Let me know in the Comments below!


Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

4 comments:

Karren said...

This is so pretty! I think the Soft Suede card front looks fine smooth as it draws the eye to the main features of the card. Beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much, Karren!

Kim S said...

Gorgeous colors! I love how the sentiment pops on the text background. And your use of the patterned strip for that part of the sketch is perfect. Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Linda Vich said...

Thank you for your comment, Kim!