Friday, January 8, 2016

The Sky Really Is The Limit!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! Mint Macaron Bloomin' Heart die cut with Blushing Bride flowers dresses up a distressed Rose Red matte in this delightful Valentine card.
It is so nice to start a new year with new Stampin Up products with which to play! As can be glimpsed on Pinterest, card making mojo is at a very high level and it seems that the sky really is the limit when it comes to creating!

In preparing for my stamping group on Friday, I knew I wanted to use both the Sky Is The Limit Stamp Set and the Bloomin' Heart Thinlits.

I started my first card by choosing a color scheme of Rose Red, Blushing Bride and Mint Macaron in preparing what could be used as a Valentine card.

I die cut the Bloomin' Hearts Thinlits Die using a metal shim on my Magnetic Platform and also used a dryer sheet under my card stock to ensure that I got both a good clean cut and that I would not be sitting picking out bits! I ran the sandwich through forward and then back and was pleased with my first time cutting results. I also die cut two of the larger flowers and three of the little flowers from Blushing Bride card stock.

I decided on the placement of the intricate heart die cut on my Rose Red matte and then used my MISTI to stamp the sentiment from the Bloomin' Love Stamp Set with Rose Red ink in the bottom right corner. To punch the matte up a bit, I decided to use my Stampin' Distress Tool to distress the edges.

I adhered the Rose Red matte to a Mint Macaron matte and then adhered the heart die cut to the Rose Red Matte using the Fine Tip Glue Pen. It was very quick to add adhesive to even the little parts of the die cut. After placing it on the matte, I put a scrap paper over it and smoothed it with my hands to ensure that it adhered well.

Next, I adhered the flowers to the solid flower spots on the die cut, again using the Fine Tip Glue Pen. It takes a little work to match up the petals of the flowers but you can do it! I then added Wink of Stella to each of the flowers.

After the flowers were dry, I attached a knotted piece of the Mint Macaron ribbon to the left side of the mattes. To tie the knot, I used a new method learned from a great video tutorial by Sage Kimble, that has you use a clear block to tie the knot or bow and then add it to your project. I admit I was doubtful at first but the method works great!

On the inside of the Thick Whisper White card base, I stamped the intricate heart stamp from the Bloomin' Love set, using Rose Red.

Finally, I adhered the mattes to the front of the card base using Dimensionals.

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! Mint Macaron Bloomin' Heart die cut with Blushing Bride flowers dresses up a distressed Rose Red matte in this delightful Valentine card.
My first attempt at this card before I remade it.

At this point, I finished card making for the day but was not quite satisfied with my card. I kept mulling it over in my mind to try and find ways to improve it. I thought that the card front was just too plain looking but I was unsure how to give it a bit more zest.

When I eventually got back to card making again, I remade the card but instead of scrapping my process, I thought I would share it with you so you could see how I made my changes and the difference that the changes made in the resulting card.

  • This time, I used a Blushing Bride card base instead of the white and the colors seemed to blend better with it than the stark contrast of the white. It also served to reinforce the use of Blushing Bride for the flowers.
  • Next, though I used Rose Red again for the matte and distressed it as before, I also sponged the edges with Rose Red which created a kind of glow effect on the matte.
  • The die cut was done the same way but I sponged the edges and lightly across the die cut itself with Mint Macaron ink.
  • Each of the Blushing Bride flowers were also sponged, this time with Blushing Bride ink. I also used my Flower Tool Kit to give a little shape to each flower.
  • In adhering the die cut to the matte this time, I only added glue to the solid flower areas which gave the die cut a more 3D and looser look than before.
  • I also adhered the flowers differently, choosing to use glue dots in the centre of each flower to allow the flower to maintain its shape.
  • In addition, I added a thicker coating of Wink of Stella and completed each flower by adding a pearl to its centre.

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! Mint Macaron Bloomin' Heart die cut with Blushing Bride flowers dresses up a distressed Rose Red matte in this delightful Valentine card.

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! Mint Macaron Bloomin' Heart die cut with Blushing Bride flowers dresses up a distressed Rose Red matte in this delightful Valentine card.

I am pleased with the changes that I made and believe that my card was much improved by them. What would you have done differently?

I chose the Sky Is The Limit Stamp Set to use for my second card because this FREE Sale-a-Bration stamp set is only available until February 15 and I wanted my stamping group to see what a great stamp set it is, filling that masculine card niche that we all struggle to fill! You can get this stamp set FREE just by placing an order of $60 or more with me!

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! A biplane soars across a cloud scudded, Pool Party sky, trailing Baker's Twine contrails in this long, narrow card.

I had already used the stamp set in my Sale-a-Bration Freebie Sneak Peek but wanted something different for class. I liked the idea of using twine for contrails but knew that I would need to use a different card format for them to be effective. In the end, I chose a completed card size of 8.5 x 3.5", long enough to provide a nice swoop of twine!

I cut a Pool Party card base and attached a thin, Basic Black matte using Dimensionals.

On a 8.25 x 3.25" Whisper White matte, I used my cloud template to sponge clouds using Pool Party and a sponge. Toward the bottom, I tried to add a bit of plain sky and also made sure to sponge all the edges of the matte.

Using my MISTI I stamped the plane image on Whisper White using Jet Black Stazon ink. I did this twice to ensure a deep black color. I then fussy cut the plane.

After deciding on the placement of the plane, I used the MISTI again with the Stazon to stamp the sentiment in the bottom right corner of the matte.

I punched three clouds using the Tree Builder Punch and edged each with the Wink of Stella. I drew a mark at the end of the plane and then drew three curved lines out from the plane to the left edge of the card. To make it easier to draw the lines I used a flex curve ruler. I used the 2-Way Glue Pen to trace over the lines and then adhered Basic Black Baker's Twine. I used scissors to trim off the excess twine. I attached the finished matte to the black matte using Fast Fuse Adhesive.

Next, I used doubled Dimensionals on the left side of the plane and a single Dimensional on the right to attach the plane to the card front, as if the plane was turning. I layered one of the clouds over the end of the plane's wing to enhance the 3D appearance.

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! A biplane soars across a cloud scudded, Pool Party sky, trailing Baker's Twine contrails in this long, narrow card.
Close up showing the dimension achieved with the strategic use of Dimensionals.

I layered two more clouds in the top left of the card front to complete the card.

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! A biplane soars across a cloud scudded, Pool Party sky, trailing Baker's Twine contrails in this long, narrow card.

For the inside of the card, I thought it would be fun to have the plane execute a barrel roll!

This time I used Basic Black Archival ink and I stamped off twice on scrap paper before stamping the plane, upside down, in the bottom middle of a Whisper White matte.

Without reinking, I stamped two, right-side-up planes on either side of the middle one. I thought by stamping them lighter it would give the illusion of the plane flying in from farther away, doing the barrel roll and then flying away again! Do you think that I achieved this? Drop me a comment below!

Linda Vich Creates: The Sky Really Is The Limit! A biplane soars across a cloud scudded, Pool Party sky, trailing Baker's Twine contrails in this long, narrow card. An inside matte showcases a stamped border with the plane executing a barrel roll.

I hope you enjoyed reading about the cards for my stamping group!

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

9 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

Two great cards! Your heart creation is sweet, but your plane is fantastic with interesting colors and fabulous techniques for the clouds. Love the composition of that card! Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Linda! Hugs, de

Linda Vich said...

Thanks, Donna! I really like how the plane card turned out. Sometimes you have to choose a non-standard size to make a design work!

Kylie Bertucci said...

Linda!!! I adore the plane!! WOW! You knocked that card out if the sky. :-) pinned to my board already and have a feeling it will be highlighted on my top Pinterest pins next week on my blog. :-) TFS!!

Linda Vich said...

Thanks a lot Kylie!

Annette Elliott said...

Your plane card is over the top fantastic!

Kylie Bertucci said...

Congratulations Linda! Your plane card is one of my most popular pins this week and is being highlighted on my blog today. Thanks for sharing. Kylie xx

Linda Vich said...

Kylie, what a wonderful surprise to wake up to this morning! Thank you for featuring my card :)

Queen Pip said...

Love the clouds you got on that Sky is the Limit card - so realistic and love the longer length card - it's nice to see something different! Just a beautiful card.

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much Queen Pip! I love to make non-standard cards when they suit the design!