Monday, August 22, 2016

Always An Adventure Bendy Card

Linda Vich Creates: Always An Adventure Bendy Card. Three dimensional camping scene created by using the Outdoors Adventures Thinlits with a bendy card.
For some time now I have wanted to make a bendy card. This is a card that allows you to construct a 3D kind of scene yet allow the card to be flattened for inserting into an envelope.

When I saw the Outdoors Adventures Framelits and the Always An Adventure stamp set, I knew that they would be wonderful for using in a bendy card.
In preparing to make my card, I consulted two video tutorials from The Mad Stamper. The first, a tutorial on how to make bendy cards, and the second, a tutorial on how to make a template for making bendy cards.

After viewing both tutorials, I started by making the template for bendy cards by using the Grid Paper. Once I had that done I realized that the scene I wanted to create would look better if the bendy card opened towards the left so I made another template for that type of bendy card! After sketching out my design for the card, I set to work.

I cut one piece of Old Olive at 5.5 x 8.5". I then made two additional cuts to end up with three pieces–4.25 x 5.5", 2.5 x 5.5", and 1.75 x 5.5". Using my template, I cut slots in two of the pieces and tabs in two of the pieces. I also scored the two smaller pieces at .5" from the end opposite the tab.
I used the Outdoors Adventures Framelits to cut some mountains from Smoky Slate (and the tops from Whisper White) and then used the Always An Adventure stamp set to stamp the other items–trees, bear, tent and lake–in Garden Green, Chocolate Chip, Tempting Turquoise and Island Indigo. I used Stampin' Write Markers in Crushed Curry, Tangerine Tango, and Early Espresso to color and stamp the campfire. Each item was die cut except for the campfire and lake which were fussy cut.

I used liquid adhesive to adhere the "snow" to the mountains only to realize later that the little die in the set that I couldn't figure out was actually for the snow caps! I used an Early Espresso Stampin' Write Marker to color the trunks of the trees.

In planning to use the trees edgelit in the die set, I did not allow enough paper to include the trees so I had to discard the 2.5 x 5.5" piece and substitute one that was 3.5 x 5.5"; I also had to prepare the slot and tab on it using the template. I was then able to die cut the piece so that I had the pine trees at the top of a curvy piece of land.

The next step was to adhere a strip of Night of Navy card stock for the sky to the 4.25 x 5.5" card base. I used the retired 1/2" Circle Punch to punch a circle and then re-punch it to create a crescent moon and glue it to the sky. I also adhered the mountains.

I used the Fine-Tip Glue Pen to add dots of glue which I then sprinkled with Dazzling Diamonds Stampin' Glitter to create the stars. I then set this card base aside to dry.

I used liquid adhesive and a few Dimensionals to glue the pine trees, lake, bears, tent and campfire to the other two pieces of the card, being sure that they were adhered well because I did not want them to pop up when the pieces of the card were bent. I used a sponge dauber to color the die cut strip of trees using Garden Green ink.

Finally it was time to adhere each of the two panels to the card base using Tear & Tape on the 1/2" scored ends. The sentiment, from the Thoughtful Banners stamp set, were stamped on both Tempting Turquoise and Whisper White using Basic Black Archival Ink. The longer sentiment was punched with the Classic Label Punch. The shorter sentiment was punched, trimmed in length and then one end stuck in through the top of the punch to create a shortened sentiment in the same punch style. These were adhered to the card using Dimensionals.

To display the card, the middle section is slotted into the card base and then the smallest front section is slotted into the middle section. The rounded look is caused from the pieces of the card being put into slots at a shorter distance than the length of the pieces. This results in a nice 3D appearance.

Linda Vich Creates: Always An Adventure Bendy Card. Three dimensional camping scene created by using the Outdoors Adventures Thinlits with a bendy card.

Linda Vich Creates: Always An Adventure Bendy Card. Three dimensional camping scene created by using the Outdoors Adventures Thinlits with a bendy card.
Shows the curvature of the card when it is placed flat on a table.

Linda Vich Creates: Always An Adventure Bendy Card. Three dimensional camping scene created by using the Outdoors Adventures Thinlits with a bendy card.

Linda Vich Creates: Always An Adventure Bendy Card. Three dimensional camping scene created by using the Outdoors Adventures Thinlits with a bendy card.
Space was left on the right inner panel for a note to the recipient of the card.

I am pleased that my first bendy card turned out so well! The card t took a long time to create because I planned as I designed the card but I think my effort paid off!




2 comments:

Wanda said...

The effort did pay off. It's fabulous. I'm going to have to give this technique a try. By the way, you have a wonderful blog!!!

Linda Vich said...

Thank you Wanda, and thank you for checking out my blog!