Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Waterlily Gift Box

Linda Vich Creates: Waterlily Gift Box. Succulent Framelits create a waterlily that tops a lovely gift box create with the Window Box Thinlits.
Instead of a card today, I have a gift box that was inspired by the photo of a waterlily that turned up in a Google search. I thought that the waterlily could be created by using the Succulent Framelits and the box could serve as the water and the lilypads could be represented by the die cut mattes added to the box.

After die cutting the two large sections for the box from Dapper Denim, I used Fast Fuse to assemble the box.

I got a tip on a Facebook group that one of the square Stitched Framelits perfectly fit as a matte for the Window Box so I die cut a matte from Cucumber Crush. A die from the Window Box Framelits was used to die cut little holes in the stitched matte.

On a scrap of Cucumber Crush, I tried sponging both Bermuda Bay and Emerald Envy to see which one would give me the look I was after; Bermuda Bay won! I sponged the matte and it looked great! I then die cut the remaining five mattes and sponged them as well.

Before adhering the mattes to the box, I decided to also sponge the edges of the box using Dapper Denim. The sponging gave the box some added depth. I then adhered the mattes using Glue Dots.

Next, I used the Succulent Framelits to cut two of the largest succulents, two of the middle size and one of the smallest size from Whisper White. I used Melon Mambo to sponge color on both sides of the die cuts and then used a bone folder to curl up the "petals" a bit. Liquid adhesive was used to adhere the die cuts to form the flower.

Clear Wink of Stella was used on the petals of the flower and then stamens were die cut from Crushed Curry using a die from the Botanical Builder Framelits. It was adhered and given a coat of Wink of Stella. A rhinestone was added to complete the flower.

When I put the flower on the top of the box, even though the blue of the box was designed to represent the water and I wanted it to show but, design-wise, I needed some greenery as well. I then die cut a hexagon using the largest Window Box die and further die cut it using the ornate hexagon die. I then trimmed the sides down as much as possible and adhered it to the top of the box before adhering the flower on top using Dimensionals.

Here is the Google photo that was my inspiration:

http://hubpages.com/living/Water-Lilies-The-Perfect-Addition-to-any-Garden

Here is my interpretation:

Linda Vich Creates: Waterlily Gift Box. Succulent Framelits create a waterlily that tops a lovely gift box create with the Window Box Thinlits.

I'm really pleased with how this little gift box turned out! It is so nice when a project you envision turns out so well!

If you would like to use my color scheme from this project, feel free to save it!


If you are ready to purchase the items to make this gift box, you can click on the items below to be taken directly to my store.




2 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

WOWOW! Your inspiration photo, and the finished product, look like family members, Linda! LOL the shiny, yet soft, petals, the beautifully deep colors, the feeling of moisture, they are all amazing! Wishing you a wonderful day! hugs, de

Gloria S said...

They are beautiful! Such a great job. I was thinking of something else to try and you've given me the courage to try, When I first got my Window Shopping Bundle, I wanted to braid the top with !ribbons. Didn't work. Boo Hoo! Now, I'll try something else. Thanks for the courage to be okay with what I do