Thursday, June 1, 2017

2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.
Navy and white always pack a punch! No wonder that I chose to create with these colors and the lovely Floral Boutique DSP for the Second Prize at my 2017 Catalog Launch! This blog post is part two in a three part series. Be sure to check out Part One.

I started by creating a handbag to contain my set of cards. I used a tutorial from Kirsteen Gill. Her tutorial creates a box in a bag which really means that you first create a shallow box for your cards and then add a bag to it.

I knew that I wanted my finished "box" to measure 1.5 x 6" so I used the handy calculator on Kirsteen's page to find out how large my starting piece of card stock should be. I ended up cutting my piece of Night of Navy to 8 x 3." I then scored each side at 1" (the depth of the box) and then cut up on the score lines at each end to create tabs. I applied liquid adhesive to these tabs and adhered them to the rest of the card stock to create the basic box.

Next, I cut two pieces of the Floral Boutique DSP at 6 x 12." I adhered these with Tear & Tape on the short side with an overlap of one inch and then trimmed the length to 15.5" according to Kirsteen's calculator. I put Tear & Tape all along the length of one side of the DSP  and up one of the short sides. I then carefully adhered the DSP around the box, ensuring that the DSP was flush with the bottom edge of the box and adhered the edges when I reached the end. This formed the "bag" part of the box.

I then cut two, 2 x 11" strips of Night of Navy and scored lengthwise at one inch. After folding on the score line, I used my fingers to curve the strip, breaking the fibers. Taking one strip, I fitted it around the top edge of my bag. I inserted the nozzle of my liquid glue at spots to glue it along the outside to keep it in place. I repeated with the second strip. It was necessary to trim the ends of the first strip slightly because where the strips overlapped, the strips didn't meet up precisely.

For the straps of the handbag, I cut two strips, 1 x 11" and scored each lengthwise, leaving 1 1/2" from each end not scored. I placed Tear & Tape on one edge and adhered the other to it.

Using my Piercing Tool, I held one end of a strap in place while I made a hole. I then removed the strap, added a little glue to the end and replaced it on the bag, fitting a retired brad into the hole. I repeated this with the three other straps to complete the handbag.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.

It was then easy to create the Peekaboo Pullback cards to fill the handbag. My cards were a CASE of the cards by Lyssa Griffin Zwolanek.

To make these cards, I cut four standard card bases from Thick Whisper White card stock. I then cut four pieces of the Floral Boutique DSP, 4 x 5.5". On the long side of the DSP, I used my Stampin' Trimmer to make a cut that was 2" in length at the 2 3/4" mark.

For each DSP piece, I folded back the paper from the cut to form little triangles. Using a pencil, I marked the edges of the folded back part on all four card fronts so I would know where to stamp.

Using my MISTI, I stamped the sentiments from the now retired Endless Thanks stamp set on the card fronts using Night of Navy. I stamped two horizontally, and two vertically so that the cards would have two different orientations. After stamping, I erased the pencil marks.

I then adhered the DSP pieces to each card front and applied a Dimensional under each folded back triangle.

For the butterflies, I again used my MISTI and I used Night of Navy ink. For the largest overall stamp, I stamped off once before stamping the butterfly on Whisper White. I used the Night of Navy full strength for the three other stamps to create the butterfly. I then used the Fold Butterfly Framelits to die cut the butterflies. Each was attached to a card front using a Dimensional.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.

Linda Vich Creates: 2017 Catalog Launch Prep Part 2: Second Prize. Peekaboo Pullback cards and handbag created with the Floral Boutique DSP and Watercolor Wings.

They are so pretty yet so simple to create!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So cute these are --love butterflies and all colors will make great card---thanks for sharing---Donna S

Linda Vich said...

Thank you for stopping by Donna!

Catie Cuddles said...

Love this way if using double sided dsp .... Will certainly be trying it out myself!