Sunday, June 11, 2017

Summer Daisy

Linda Vich Creates: Summer Daisy. Masking technique used to create two-toned letters on this Delightful Daisy summer card!
With the glorious weather lately, it's not hard to tell that summer is the topic on everyone's mind. Popular items through my till at Walmart include fans, air conditioners, pools, barbecues and patio furniture. Because of this, I thought it fitting then to create a summer card!

I started by selecting a piece of the Delightful Daisy DSP and then selected colors from within the pattern–Tranquil Tide and Calypso Coral–to use for a matte and card base. I also chose to use So Saffron and Calypso Coral for my letters. Though Daffodil Delight is supposed to be the yellow in the Delightful Daisy DSP, I found it to be too bright for the yellow of this particular pattern.

Next, I lined up the letter stamps from the Letters For You stamp set on my MISTI to spell SUMMER, leaving out the U and leaving a space for a second M.

I used washi tape to hold a piece of scrap paper across the letters as a mask so that I could ink up half of the letter at a time. I started with So Saffron and I inked up the letters first with Versamark and then the So Saffron so that it would ink up better. After carefully removing the mask, I stamped twice onto Watercolor Paper to get the color strength that I wanted. I then masked up the part of the letters I had stamped and then inked the remaining half of the letters with the Versamark and Calypso Coral and stamped two times.

And then, being the linear thinker that I am, I made my BIG mistake.

The MISTI is an amazing tool and is very useful for repeat stamping. What I should have done after stamping the So Saffron, was remove the piece of watercolor paper and replace it with another to stamp the second M. Then do the second masking, stamp, replace the watercolor paper and stamp again. This would have ensured that I had the division line between the So Saffron and the Calypso Coral in the exact same place on both M's.

But I didn't do that! :(

Instead, I took off the M letter stamp and put it in the spot where the second M would go and attempted to mask and stamp to get the colors in the right places.

NOT!

In the end, I measured carefully and was successful at stamping another M correctly and then I was able to die cut all the letters using the Large Letters Framelits. But it would have been so much easier just to replace the watercolor paper with another piece! Regardless, I got what I wanted in the end.

After die cutting the letters, I punched two daisies from Watercolor Paper using the Daisy Punch and then colored them using sponge daubers. I shaped them slightly with a bone folder and adhered them together using liquid adhesive. A Gold Faceted Gem was added to the centre but I decided it needed to be more yellow so I touched it up with a yellow Sharpie.

I cut the DSP and matted it onto Tranquil Tide. The letters were adhered using liquid adhesive and then the daisy with Dimensionals.

The entire matte was adhered to the Calypso Coral card front using Foam Adhesive Strips.

On a Whisper White matte, I used my MISTI to stamp the flowers from the Word Words stamp set onto a corner of the matte using So Saffron. This was repeated and then I selectively added Calypso Coral to some flowers on the stamp using a sponge dauber and stamped it again, twice. This procedure was repeated with the opposite corner of the matte. A sponge dauber was then used to ink all four edges of the matte with So Saffron before adhering the matte inside the card.

Linda Vich Creates: Summer Daisy. Masking technique used to create two-toned letters on this Delightful Daisy summer card!

Linda Vich Creates: Summer Daisy. Masking technique used to create two-toned letters on this Delightful Daisy summer card!

Linda Vich Creates: Summer Daisy. Masking technique used to create two-toned letters on this Delightful Daisy summer card!

Linda Vich Creates: Summer Daisy. Masking technique used to create two-toned letters on this Delightful Daisy summer card!


I love the combo of Tranquil Tide with the Calypso Coral and I really like this piece of the Delightful Daisy DSP and I hope to find a use for it again soon!




0 comments: