Monday, November 30, 2015

A Wonderland Silent Night

I was hesitant about posting yet another card using the stamp set, Wonderland, but each morning when I open my email, it seems that I see yet another demonstrator using the stamp so I know that I am not alone in my love for it!

Today I had earmarked for preparing for my stamp class on Friday. However, an email about Cyber Monday caught my eye and I ended up doing both some online and offline Christmas shopping this morning!

When I returned home, however, I was driven to create this card that I had envisioned yesterday.

I really wanted to use some of the Winter Wonderland Designer Vellum Stack and it made me think that a Centre Step Card might be a way to combine it with Wonderland.

To begin with, I had to learn how to make this style of card. I consulted both a tutorial from Splitcoast Stampers and one by Marie Shaughnessy.

Because I wanted to show off more of the vellum on the side panels, I modified the basic measurements so that I started with a Basic Black card stock panel 7.5 x 11" in size and made my side panels 2" wide.

Using a sheet of vellum from the Winter Wonderland Designer Vellum Stack that contained gold sprigs of pine and pine cones (LOVE the vellum in this stack!), I cut mattes for each side panel as well as the little bits that are somewhat hidden in the fold.

I used Multi Medium Matte to adhere the panels, carefully applying glue under the gold bits. This choice was a conscious decision as I knew that stray glue of the glossy variety would easily catch the eye but a matte finish adhesive would not.This worked well, however, it is important to put both panels on so that the pattern faces the same direction! (Ask me how I know this!)

I then stamped the Wonderland stamp with Versamark on a Basic Black card stock matte. I heat embossed with Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder and then used a Versamark Marker on the edges of the matte so they could also be heat embossed. I adhered this panel to the centre section using Dimensionals.

Because the vellum sheets are only 6" in size, I could not use it for the bottom step of the card as it was 7.5" wide. I could have cut two pieces and placed them side by side, carefully lining up the patterns and hiding the join with something but this would have meant sacrificing two sheets of the vellum and I want to use it for another project in the future!

Instead of adhering some other sort of matte, I decided to tie a bow with the Gold Glitter ribbon to provide a glitzy bottom border to the card. To make the bow-making easier, I used Sticky Strip to attach a length of ribbon to the step of the card and then created a separate bow which I adhered on top of the ribbon using glue dots.

For the sentiment, I stamped on a strip of vellum with Versamark and heat embossed with Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder. I used the Triple Banner Punch to flag one end and then applied Basic Black Archival ink to the edges of the strip using a sponge dauber.

Though I searched through various Stampin Up embellishments, none of them was quite right and though I considered the little Snowflake Elements, I thought they would be too thick looking–I wanted something more delicate looking to accent the sentiment.



In the end, I die cut a snowflake, using the new Take A Bough Dies from Concord & 9th, from Thick Whisper White card stock. I heat embossed it with gold and then added a little bit more sparkle by using the 2-Way Glue Pen with some Gold Stampin' Glitter. I also added a rhinestone to the centre of the snowflake. (I will post when I use the Take A Bough dies to create a Christmas Tree–looking forward to putting one together after cutting out all the required pieces!)

I used glue dots to attach the sentiment to the card front and then hid the glue by using more glue dots to attach the snowflake.

So glad I was able to create this card today! Remember that Wonderland is retiring as of January 4 so don't miss out on purchasing yours!

Check out these other posts where I feature the stamp set, Wonderland:

Color Burst Christmas and Wonderful Wonderland
Wonderland: My Go-To Stamp
Glints of Gold With Wonderland
Woodland and Wonderland: Together And Doing Fine!



Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

6 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

How regal and elegant, Linda! There is nothing like gold embossing powder to bring out the richness of a project! hugs, de {Creative Smiles}

Unknown said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I've been wanting to try this style of card- i just love the way you combined Wonderland and the designer vellum. Stunning.

Linda Vich said...

Thank you, Donna! I just love combining black and gold!

Linda Vich said...

Thanks, Michelle! As soon as I saw the vellum, I knew that I wanted to pair it with Wonderland :)

Carol L said...

THis is gorgeous in gold and black! Love those trees!

Linda Vich said...

Thank you so much, Carol!