Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Fresh Spring Climbing Orchids

Linda Vich Creates: Fresh Spring Orchids. Lemon Lime Twist Climbing Orchids are featured on this card, displayed on a backdrop of Peekaboo Peach embossing paste bricks.
Edited: It appears that I am somewhat "orchid dyslexic" in that it was brought to my attention that my orchids were upside down! :(  This has been corrected. :)

Woke up with a Spring-like color scheme and card idea in my head this morning. Glad that I didn't have to work today and got to try it out!

I tried several new things on my card today but the first thing I tried was the new Embossing Paste because I knew I would need to let it dry before I could complete my card. I used the new Palette Knives to mix up some of the paste with Peekaboo Peach reinker and then used the brick design from the Pattern Party Decorative Masks to apply the paste to an Early Espresso matte. I set it aside to dry while I worked on the other parts of the card.

On Watercolor paper, I used my MISTI to stamp the two smaller petals and the centre from the Climbing Orchid stamp set using Tranquil Tide. I repeated the stamping three times and then heat set the ink so that I could then stamp it with Versamark. I heat embossed the images using Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder. I stamped enough petals for three complete blooms and then die cut them using the Orchid Builder Framelits.

I also stamped and clear embossed the largest complete orchid onto a Whisper White matte for inside the card. I used a sponge to sponge over and around the orchid using Lemon Lime Twist. I also sponged the edges of the matte before adhering it inside a 4.75 x 6" Tranquil Tide card base.

Using Lemon Lime Twist, I sponged color onto each piece of the orchids. I used Dimensionals to assemble each orchid.

The Seasonal Layers Thinlits were used to Idie cut a branch from Early Espresso and then I played with the arrangement of the orchid pieces on the branch. I trimmed a few of the branches to get the look and placement of the orchids that I wanted.

Once the embossing paste was dry–I left it for a couple of hours though it might have been dry before that– I used rolled up Glue Dots to adhere the branch to the Early Espresso matte. Dimensionals were used to adhere the orchids. Next, I used the now retired Distress Tool to distress the edges of the matte.

I cut two mattes of the same size as the Early Espresso one, a Lemon Lime Twist and a flowered paper from the now retired 2016-2018 In Color DSP Stack. These I stacked under the Early Espresso matte, adjusting them to be angled out from the top matte. Once I got them in the position I liked, I held the centre of the papers and added liquid adhesive in between the layers to adhere them together. They were then adhered to the card front using liquid adhesive. The Early Espresso matte was adhered on top of them using Dimensionals.

The sentiment was stamped with Early Espresso on Peekaboo Peach and then die cut with the #1 Circle from the Stitched Shapes Framelits. It was adhered to the card front using Dimensionals.

At the last minute, I decided to try adding shadows and highlights to the branch and the orchids, similar to what Vicky Papaioannou does (of course she does it much better than me!). I used an Early Espresso Stampin' Write Marker to add a shadow line to the branch and then used a Sharpie Extra Fine Point Poster Paint White Marker to add highlights to the branch and the orchids. Obviously, I need some practice with this but I don't think they look too bad!

Lastly, I added three Peekaboo Peach Enamel Shapes to the card front to complete the card. This creates a visual triangle of Peekaboo Peach that includes the patterned paper, the sentiment and the enamel shapes. This is an excellent design principle to use in cardmaking as well as scrapbooking and other layouts.

Linda Vich Creates: Fresh Spring Orchids. Lemon Lime Twist Climbing Orchids are featured on this card, displayed on a backdrop of Peekaboo Peach embossing paste bricks.

Linda Vich Creates: Fresh Spring Orchids. Lemon Lime Twist Climbing Orchids are featured on this card, displayed on a backdrop of Peekaboo Peach embossing paste bricks.

Linda Vich Creates: Fresh Spring Orchids. Lemon Lime Twist Climbing Orchids are featured on this card, displayed on a backdrop of Peekaboo Peach embossing paste bricks.

Though I do like the color scheme, I go back and forth between liking and not liking the card. What do you think? Does this color scheme and design work? Drop me a comment below to let me know what you think!

If you do like the color scheme, feel free to grab it for use in your own projects!

Linda Vich Creates: Fresh Spring Orchids. Lemon Lime Twist Climbing Orchids are featured on this card, displayed on a backdrop of Peekaboo Peach embossing paste bricks.





0 comments: